Recently I have been learning more about Family History and I had even played around with FamilySearch.org (which means that I messed something up and hopefully when I "fixed" it I didn't mess it up more). It was interesting to see my heritage lines of my ancestors from Scotland and it was equally as interesting to see Clay's heritage from Scotland too (don't worry from what I can tell we aren't related...but then again if any of us go back far enough aren't we all related?).
I am from the Campbell Clan and Clay is a Hood (I couldn't find which Clan that is specifically). I found a tutorial about kilt making and I thought about how cute and easy it would be to make the twins kilts to wear. I looked up my Clan's tartan colors and found a fabric that was as close as I could get. I started sewing and, man oh man, are pleats hard to make even! After struggling for a while Clay reminded me that the twins will be running around the whole time and no one will notice a few mismatched pleats.
My parents came with us and when we arrived it was a big party. My Dad even exclaimed that he was finally among his people, short, bigger guys who like to be loud and rowdy. They had an awesome loud/proud Scottish band playing, friendly people stopping to chat, everyone wearing kilts, lots of good food, and men having a contest to see who can pick up a large boulder. I also felt like I was at a large family reunion and in a way I guess I was.
I'm glad that we finally decided to go and I think we will make it a priority to go in the upcoming years too. The kids kilts turned out great and Rhett only got mistaken for a girl once (I blame the curls...well and the fact he was wearing a skirt).
Until next year...Haste Ye Back









No comments:
Post a Comment