We ended up going to two different rodeos in Cache Valley. The first one was the Star Spangled Rodeo in Hyrum and because we showed up late we had some awkward seats but it was still really fun. We watched most of the events and for the first time I saw Mutton Bustin (this is where they have children ride on sheep...which seems like child abuse...but is also so freakin cute)! We also saw an event where they had girls come down and chase after a cow for a prize (it was funny but oddly felt a little sexist...I could imagine someone watching saying "Hey Bob, do you see them women folk chasin' after that cow...they should be in the kitchen" type of thing). The whole rodeo definitely had a quaint small town feel and we are putting this on our tradition list for next year.
The other rodeo we went to was the Lewiston 4th of July Rodeo (although it was really on the 3rd). This time we showed up 10 minutes early and got to sit on the back row and had plenty of space for the kids to crawl (safely) around. The rodeo grounds at Lewiston are amazing! They had covered bleachers and the event went very smoothly.
This time we were able to stay for the bull riding, which in my opinion wasn't as exciting as the bronc riding events.
We also saw steer riding which had just been introduced in the area as a Jr division. During this event there was a kid who didn't tie his saddle down to the cow somehow and when he got bucked off he popped right off...with his saddle still between his legs. He ended up not getting his feet underneath him and landed straight on his butt still sitting on the saddle. It was awesome and I think the only thing he hurt was his pride.
On the 4th we went down to Layton Liberty Days and watched my dad in the parade. He is part of a Model A car club and they all decided to show off their sweet rides in the parade. It was a very crowded parade and the kids were fussy so we didn't stay the whole time. But on the way down we did stop at the Fruit Highway in Willard and got some of the sweetest berries I have ever tasted (I swear they inject their raspberries with sugar).

We also watched some fireworks from our front yard. I think that I will miss this when we move because we are able to put the kids to sleep and then set out a blanket just outside the door and watch the Freedom Fire program from the USU stadium. We heard that you could get the music from the program on your phone but we couldn't find it and ended up putting on the patriotic station on Pandora (which I'm sure everyone around us appreciated...unless they were unamerican, which in that case they shouldn't have been out at all).
The technical college is around the area we live and they put up over 2,200 flags in honor of one of their founders, who was a military man, retiring. It was quite a sight to see rows and rows of crisp flags that never seemed to end. We brought Joy along with us to see it and the kids and her had a blast running through the flags.
As I watched them run I thought about how amazing it is to be living where we are. I think often about how easy it would have been for me to have been born in a country that doesn't have the rights that our country enjoys. It is pretty awesome to be in a land where freedom is the foundation to our government and although we are not without our problems I am very thankful to live here and for those who have made it possible for me to receives these freedoms.













No comments:
Post a Comment