Monday, May 4

Twin Birth Story: Part 1

*I felt like the Twin's Birth Story was too long for one blog post so I wrote several...and because it is my blog I will do what I want.* 

It all started because Clay doesn't pick up his socks...okay I may be exaggerating a little bit...but my water did break because I picked up the socks that he didn't put away.

A few days prior I went in for my 30 week appointment where I was told that I made having twins "look easy".  Before we left my OBGYN asked if I have had any contractions.  I asked what contractions felt like and she replied with "oh you would know if you were having them" so I answered with "nope, I feel great".  She thought for a moment and decided to check for dilation anyways.  Less then 30 seconds later she said that I was dilated to a 3 and would be going up to Labor and Delivery  to get a steroid shot to help the babies' lungs develop faster in case they had to come soon. 

Ummm...wait what??  I guess I don't make having twins look easy (and that was the day I learned that all OBGYNs lie...just kidding, I love my doctor).

Before we went up Clay said he had to use the bathroom and I went outside to give my mom a quick call.  Hearing her voice made me lose it (Clay has a calming affect on me but anytime I talk to one of the Knight women my emotions bubble over).  I felt like I had just been slapped in the face and as my mother asked why my body was reacting the way it was I began to think about all the things I may have done wrong (like lifting things or not listening to my body when that whole week all I wanted to do was sleep).

Clay came back and I got off the phone to head up to Labor and Deliver (which we had no idea where it was because we were supposed to take the tour of the hospital NEXT WEEK in our first birthing class...btw screw birthing classes turns out you can have a baby without them...who would have thought).  They knew we were coming so the check in process was quick and before I knew it I was hooked up to a crazy amount of monitors.  The sweet nurse asked again if I was having contractions and I told her no but she put on a monitor anyway.She left us alone but said she would watch our screen from the nurses desk.  

As we waited we could hear family members coming in to meet babies who had just been born.  I felt a little silly being there but I felt even more hungry (they wouldn't let me eat but sweet Clay kept sneaking me small crackers). Our nurse came in and started fitling with our monitors and asking how I was feeling.  I told I felt fine and she asked if I was feeling any contractions.  When I told her "no" she told me that the monitors were saying "yes"...and in fact they were coming fast and hard.  She called my doctor and they gave me medication to stop them and sent me home on bed rest. 

I was on bed rest for a couple of days and one of my best friends, Natalie, came to stay with me.  When she got to my house one of the first things she wanted to do was get my bag ready to go.  I told her that I had plenty of time but she persisted, so we spent the day getting things together (she must be able to see in the future or something). 

The next night Clay came home from a church meeting and while Natalie vacuumed I picked a few things up...like Clay's socks (see how it comes full circle).  

Anyways...my water starts to "leak" and I go into the nursery and call my mom.  I ask her what a broken water feels like and she tells me that hers never did so she doesn't know.  I told her what I had been experiencing and she said that I should go to the hospital.  I found Clay talking on the phone and I very calmly asked him to "wrap it up".  He said okay but continued talking in no big hurry.  I then mouthed "my water just broke".  Clay's eyes got the biggest I have ever seen them (it is a good thing they didn't pop out of his head).  After hearing this he very quickly got off his phone and started to freak out a little.  I told him we had time and he went to tell Natalie (who I heard later didn't believe him at first) while I put the last minute stuff in my bag. 

We drove to the hospital in Logan and they checked us in.  We were getting all ready when they asked how far along I was and when I told them only 30 weeks with twins they were taken aback.  I guess because I looked so big they thought I was full term and didn't ask right off.  

Turns out this hospital can't take babies under 32 weeks so they arranged for me to be taken by ambulance to Mckay Dee Hospital in Ogden.  I asked if I could just go in my own car but because I had been admitted they couldn't let me do that...so I rode through the winding canyon backwards in an ambulance by myself (well the EMT was with me but Clay and Nat took the car). 

When we got to Mckay Dee my parents and Brit were waiting for us.



What happened next was the longest night of my life...and thinking about it makes me tired so I think I will write more about it tomorrow.

*Photos by Brittany Bennion Photography*

2 comments:

  1. What a wild ride. Literally. I can't believe it has been a whole year! You are an amazing mom and dad!!

    ReplyDelete