Why I Am Feeling Lucky
+ The Opportunity for an Education. My sophomore year of college I felt like a fish in a sea of young girls working for an education only to briefly work before raising a family. In fact, I figured it was a waste because by the time I would go back to work things I had learned would be out of date. All of this was changed when I traveled to Mali Africa to help assist with the Ouelessoubougou Utah Alliance in their education chapter. Each time they introduced me (my African name was Sunkara Kony) to the different village education committees they would mention that I was a University Student. To my surprise the villagers were very excited about a young women was getting a University level education. As I sat through those meetings I began to understand what the education of women really means. Educated women can changed an entire community and I feel so lucky and grateful to have the opportunity.
+ Clay and I are coming up on 5 years of marriage. I'm excited about this because, contrary to what I thought when I was engaged, marriage is hard. It's like two people working on a puzzle with one person's hands to the other person' hands. It can be difficult if one person is trying to build their own section of the puzzle while their partner builds another...it only works when both partners give a little, trusting that the other sees the over all pictures, and then allows them to place a piece. That is what Clay and I continue to work on. Sometimes we have to check in with each other and make sure we are working on the same puzzle and that we are allowing the other person to help us put it all together. Our puzzle is coming along slowly but surely and it is looking great.
+ The safe place where we live. I have been reading a book (I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey by Izzeldin Abuelaish) that talks about the life events of a man living in the Gaza Strip. The hardships of living in a place where you daily fear that something bad will happen to your family makes me marvel in the circumstances I was born into. I had a childhood that was filled with barefoot summer nights of playing night games and I look forward to my children experiencing the same. I don't have to worry about being out after dark or if my family members will come home safe each night. I have had this pleasure all my life and I find that I, at times, take it for granted. But every once in a while I am reminded of how easily I could have been born at a time or place where my safety wasn't secure and I am thankful for where I live.
+ Rhett's head CT Scan came back normal. This one is hard to write about because we are doing more testing and the tides can turn suddenly. When I see my baby boy laughing, playing, climbing and falling I can't help but wonder if there is something going on within him that I can't protect him from...and during these moments I silently plead with God to spare him any hardships...put them on me if he must...I'm his mother...it is what I do.
+ Great family and friends. As I am building a little family of my own I feel lucky for those who I have surrounded myself with. I have had misunderstandings with people and have had relationships go sour but with humility those misunderstandings and hurt fade away and our friendships are glued back together. I couldn't ask for a better group of people to cheer us on as this little family bee bops along in life. I know that I can call on them to support me as I make my way through the awkward phase of new motherhood without judging me if need I ask how to make peas *facepalm* (I now know so call me if you need that info...lol).




No comments:
Post a Comment