Sunday, September 8

FUN.

When I saw that the band FUN. was coming in concert I immediately called Clay and told him that, although I didn't know where the money would come from, we were absolutely buying tickets to this concert.  He agreed and the tickets were purchased!  I was pretty pleased with myself until I looked at the date...

August 23rd

Not a big deal to most people but for Clay and I this was the night before we had to get up at 4:30 am to run our TOU half marathon (which is a whole different post).  At that moment my heart deflated and the pride in myself that I had felt moments after purchasing the tickets was replaced with me banging my head against a wall.  With the money spent and deciding that if we are going to run 13.1 miles we might as well be sleep deprived we became excited for my lack of judgement.
We show up for the concert and FUN. immediately started the set with one of my favorite songs, Walking the Dog.  This song was one of my running songs that I blasted while Clay was in basic training and I did not expect them to play any of their songs from their older albums.  I freaked out and continued to sing a duet with him.  Clay said that the band may not know that they are doing a duet but I assured him that they knew and I was just singing for those in back  (in fact I think the crowd by me may have thought I was more entertaining than the band...but we will keep that between us).
One of the last songs that they played before the night ended was Carry On.  I definitely got some goosebumps as the crowd of people sang the words: 

"may your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground and carry on"

Here were people from every situation (I saw 3 pregnant ladies, 4 drunk girls, 2 guys smoking pot, 12 year old kids and grandparents sitting in lawn chairs) and we all related to this idea of what has happened in our past is over and we need to move forward.  It was a great moment and a triumphant way to end a concert.

Music is powerful stuff...especially when it is blasted in your ears by 6 foot speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment