Sunday, October 9

Tales of a Waitress: Stereotyping Tippers (People with Kids)



I have decided to start blogging about my time being a waitress so that I don't forget all the fun, crazy and important lessons that I have learned (not only on how to treat customer and servers but how to treat people in general).

Today's topic is about stereotyping tippers.

People with kids


There is a general groan in the resturaunt when a table comes in with two or more kids (especially between the ages 2-5 years). It isn't that we don't like kids because many of us not only like kids but are doing our major that will someday involve children. It is just understood that this table will give us tons of problems, from time contrants (children don't know how to wait to through a 3 course meal), to special food preferences (no mushrooms, sauce on the sides, switch out the chicken fingers for the home fries), to noise problems (some kids are just too loud) to the messes they leave behind (you would be so grossed out if I were to give details of what I have found under the table when that group leaves).

Now I am not saying these things to discourage people from bringing their children to upper class resturaunts but what I am saying is that having kids is not so easy for survers either. With a table with children families tend to order cheaper food but demand a higher level of service and their tip money generally does not refect the amount of effort spent on the servers end.

So next time you go to a restaurant and bring your cute kids surprise your server and show them how much you appreciated their work with a 20% tip. It will make their day!!

{chels}

1 comment:

  1. I want to know the gross things you have found! Or---- maybe not!

    ReplyDelete